Ten years ago when I first ran for City Council, I talked about my commitment to continuing St. Louis Park’s success, to ensuring the city be a leader in environmental sustainability, that we have housing opportunities available for residents at every stage of life, that we ensure residents are engaged in the decisions that impact their lives. Since then, I have worked hard to deliver on those commitments. I’m proud to have led city efforts in the following accomplishments:
Building a sustainable St. Louis Park
- Initiated the creation of the Environment & Sustainability Commission
- Led adoption of Minnesota’s first citywide, curbside pick-up organics recycling to expand participation in recycling efforts and reduce waste, including new drop-off sites at local parks
- Fought for bee-friendly city parks with dramatically reduced use of pesticides
- Supported the city’s commitment to a Climate Action Plan
- Restructured our long-term capital improvement plans and billing to ensure that our water supply and systems are reliable, clean, affordable and enduring
- Continuing to ensure that our city maintains AAA bond rating, reflecting sound fiscal practices and reducing costs for residents
Proven commitment to engagement & equity
- Led city efforts for a grassroots-driven vision for our city’s future with Vision 3.0
- Instituted a comprehensive, citywide race equity commitment, creating goals and metrics to hold our city accountable to creating a community in which everyone can thrive (celebrating the City’s recent President’s Award from the League of Minnesota Cities recognizing our pioneering work in and commitment to achieving racial equity!)
- Developed an Inclusionary Housing Policy, creating quality housing affordable to all of our residents
- Fostered resident-driven planning for managing development, including the Southside Excelsior Boulevard Guidelines and the Southwest LRT station-area plans
- Served on the Hennepin County Workforce Investment Board
Creating healthy communities for a strong future
- Led efforts to adopt a Complete Streets policy and establish the Connect the Park 10-year plan for expanding trails and sidewalks to create a safer and healthier community
- Working with residents to ensure balanced development in St. Louis Park fits the character of our community and supports the vision for our future
- Providing leadership to bring Southwest Light Rail Transit (SWLRT) to St. Louis Park and development planning for future station areas along the corridor
- Elected in 2016 as President of Metro Cities, an organization representing 91 cities throughout the metro area that advocates for city interests at the State Legislature
- Creating housing opportunities for all of our residents at every stage of life, from young families to senior citizens
- Helped create programs for job development and to support small businesses to maintain the character and economy of our city
And much more!
I have listened to residents and responded by facilitating community conversations that include your ideas, your concerns and your dreams — conversations that include YOU.
Throughout my life, I have dedicated my personal time and my professional career to helping empower people to have a voice in their own community. For three decades, I have been able to formulate and advance public policies that help communities keep government accountable and working on their behalf.