I have over 25 years of experience in strengthening communities locally, nationally, and internationally. I have taken these skills and put them to work for our community.
- Leader in public policy efforts and financing strategies to address Hennepin County affordable housing needs, including led the implementation and coordination of programs to provide housing and services to homeless individuals and families, at great cost savings to the public taxpayer
- Re-elected to second term as City Councilmember in St. Louis Park
- Provide leadership for Transit Oriented Development planning for station areas along the Southwest Light Rail Transit corridor, as representative to Hennepin County’s Southwest Community Works Committee
- Led efforts to adopt a Complete Streets policy in St. Louis Park, and to adopt a 10-year plan for expanding trails and sidewalks to create a healthier community.
- Led adoption of a city-wide, curbside pick up organics recycling to expand participation in recycling efforts and reduce waste.
- Served on the Hennepin County Workforce Investment Board
- Facilitated a unique collaboration of schools, businesses, nonprofits and community members to address youth homelessness in the Twin Cities
- Managed more than $50 million in U.S. government grants for local government reform and democratic initiatives in Russia, as Chief of Unit on Civil Society at USAID-Moscow.
- As a staff member in the U.S. Congress, developed housing and community development legislation
- Prepared the 1992 Presidential Transition Report recommendations for the Department of Housing and Urban Development, for President Clinton
- Served on the Minneapolis Civil Rights Commission, fighting for equal opportunities for everyone.
- As Executive Director of Minneapolis’s Central Neighborhood organization, implemented housing rehabilitation programs, crime reduction programs and neighborhood clean-up activities
- Served as Executive Director of DFL Education Foundation, to stimulate discussion of progressive policies and issues
- Master’s degree in Public Policy, Georgetown University
- Bachelors degree in Government and Slavic Languages, Lawrence University
- Proud graduate of Washburn High School, Minneapolis
Throughout my life, I have dedicated my personal time and my professional career to helping empower people to have a voice in their own community. For three decades, I have been able to formulate and advance public policies that help communities keep government accountable and working on their behalf.
Click here for more detail about my leadership in the community, and educational background.